Looking ahead to 2019. With the sun shining in my window this afternoon, it feels like we’ve only recently dipped into the cooler temperatures of autumn. However, there are only 49 days remaining in 2018 and we know those are going to fly by with the holiday season fast on our heels.
Today, I’d like to encourage you to take a moment to think about your goals from 2018. The ones you achieved. The ones you didn’t get around to, and even the ones you forgot about entirely. Looking ahead, also encompasses taking stock of where we’ve been and what we’ve accomplished. There is no time like the present, so grab a piece of paper and let’s dive in to looking ahead into 2019!
Taking Stock of 2018
- Make a list of your 2018 goals
- Place a check mark beside each goal you achieved. Well done!
- Place an X beside each goal you did not even come close to achieving and no longer have any interest in completing. It’s okay, things change and we need to be able to change with them.
- Place an O beside each goal you are either still working on or haven’t begun to work on but still, and this is very important, gnaws at you to work towards the goal. If a goal still burns within you, it moves with you.
Looking Ahead to 2019 with 2018
- Using the list you created above, start a new list for 2019.
- Transfer the data for all your 2018 goals with an O beside them to your 2019 goal list.
- Add any additional “new” goals for 2019 to your 2019 list.
Make Your 2019 Goals Matter
- For every goal now listed on your 2019 goal list, write down 3 – 5 actionable steps you can take for each individual goal.
- 365 days is a long period of time, so pace yourself. You do not have to accomplish all of your goals by February, but you do need to spend a concerted amount of time and attention on them every week.
- Wanting to accomplish a goal but not being willing to take small weekly steps toward that goal is equal to not truly wanting the end result. Consider your goals with a keen eye and understand what you are signing up for in order to accomplish them.
- When life gets in the way, just remember there is no expiry date on a dream. Some goals need to role over a time or two before we accomplish them. Other goals drive us with a purpose to the desired outcome. Neither one is right. Neither one is wrong. They are simply different methods of achieving a desired result.
Looking for more information about goal setting? Check out this blog post on taking stock of your achievements for a little more inspiration and make 2019 your best year ever!